There are several reasons you might want to host estate sales in Ontario. It could be due to the death of the estate owner, long distance relocation, or downsizing. Estate sales in Ontario are open to the public and can last for several days. Read on to find out more about estate sales, best way to sell, and what you should expect from it.
What is an estate sale in Ontario?
An estate sale in Ontario, by definition, is the process of selling the contents of your house. It’s bigger and more formal than a yard sale. Household and personal items are sold at second-hand price. You can choose to host the estate sale by yourself or hire a professional real estate agent.
What is the best time to sell estate items?
In Ontario, it’s best to host an estate sale during spring or summer. During winters, most people prefer staying indoors, so you’ll end hosting the sale longer than you’d want to. As a real estate agent, I can help organise and execute the estate sales in Ontario while you take care of the more important things.
What sells best at estate sales?
For a smooth and successful estate sale, start by taking an inventory of your belongings. Determine the highest and lowest price you’ll accept for the items. If you’re attached emotionally to any item, don’t put it up on sale.
Items that sell the best at estate sales in Ontario:
- Paintings and art prints
- Kitchenware, especially vintage
- Small appliances, including microwaves, coffee maker
- Clothes, especially designer brands
- Vintage items, including typewriters, automobile models
How do I prepare for an estate sale?
Here’s my foolproof step-by-step process for a smooth, hassle-free estate sales :
- Make a list of all items you have into separate categories
- Separate items with emotional value from those you want to sell
- Decide the highest and lowest price you’ll take for each category
- Get a professional appraiser to finalise the value of expensive belongings
- Fix any items that can be repaired easily
- Rent extra storage or tent, if required
- Advertise about the sales on Facebook groups, in your neighbourhood
- Host your estate sales in Ontario on weekends
Should I DIY or hire professional help?
Estate sales aren’t as simple or easy as garage sales. While doing it yourself will give you better returns and more flexibility, it is also stressful and time-consuming. On the other hand, hiring a professional real estate agent like me, will save time. At most, the professional will take a part of the profit.
Tips for hiring a realtor for estate sales in Ontario:
– Interview the realtor. Ask them about their experience, the volume of items they’ve handled.
– Visit an estate sale they host. See them in action and decide whether you can work with their style.
– Show them the items you want to sell and ask for their professional advice about which items to keep, throw, or sell.
– Get a contract that clearly mentions their responsibilities and rate.
Hi! I am Catherine Nacar, a Brampton local and real estate agent. I offer estate sale services in Brampton, Mississauga, Toronto, Caledon, Oakville, and other cities in Southern Ontario. Please contact me today on my email – email@example.com or phone (905) 867-4828. I look forward to hearing from you.